Back in the day, there was this crazy dude named "Weird Al" Yankovic. He had a gift for parodying songs and music videos of popular recording artists. Recently, Jimmy Fallon of Saturday Night Live fame carried that torch. I don't know if anyone really does that anymore, but I do occasionally hear funny song parodies on my favourite radio station, 99.9 Mix FM Virgin Radio Toronto, in the mornings.
In high school, I discovered that I have a similar talent of modifying song lyrics, except my intent wasn't always to be funny. I view my songs as legitimate pieces of work that happen to share the music of the original songs.
Links of interest:
- Convocation (Avril Lavigne - Complicated parody)
- Doves in the Sky (Selena - Dreaming of You parody)
- I'll Remember You (Jewel - You Were Meant For Me parody)
- Mow the Lawn (The All-American Rejects - Move Along parody)
- Raptors Supastars (Pras featuring Mýa and ODB - Ghetto Supastars parody)
- That's How Co-Op Is (Celine Dion - That's The Way It Is parody)
- To Fate, To You (Jon Secada - Too Late, Too Soon parody)
- Your Plentiphone (James Blunt - You're Beautiful parody)
External links of interest: